Seagoe Archives

May 1935

Transcript

May 1935


Seagoe Parish Magazíne.

MAY, 1935.

The Silver Jubilee.

A Seagoe Wish.


God Save our gracious King and Queen !

Long may they reign !


THE EASTER VESTRY.

The following appointments were made at the Easter Vestry held on Thursday, 25th April,

1935, in Seagoe School, at 8 p.m .: —

CHURCHWARDENS :

H . MURRAY GIBSON, Rector’s.

THOMAS MARTIN, People’s.


SELECT VESTRY.

THOMAS E . MAGINNIS.

JAMES TWINEM .

MOSES GILPIN .

MISS ATKINSON.

HUGH STOOPS.

WILLIAM WHITE .

GILBERT PRICE .

J . G. GRACEY, J .P .

ISAAC DICKSON.

ROBERT McCLEMENTS.

JOHN H . TWINEM .

WILLIAM HUTCHINSON.

Hon. ;Sec.— MOSES GILPIN , Drumnagoon.

Hon. Treas. HUGH STOOPS, Killicomaine Rd .. Portadown.

Assistant Hon. Treas.—THOMAS H. HALL.

Hon. Auditors—J. R. REID and H . MURRAY GIBSON.

SIDESMEN:

ROBERT McCLEMENTS,

ROBERT SCOTT,

W. J . M ‘KINNEY,

JAMES ALLEN ,

HUGH STOOPS,

ALPHONSO KIRK,

ARTHUR ALLEN ,

JOHN WALKER,

CHAS. S. A. TWINEM ,

JOHN H . TWINEM ,

NICHOLAS CAMPBELL,

THOMAS GRACEY,

JAMES REID ,

WM. HUTCHINSON,

JOHN G. GRACEY, J .P .

ISAAC DICKSON,

ERNEST MITCHELL,

WM. A. CASEY,

JOHN R. REID ,

THOMAS STANFIELD ,

GEORGE WILSON,

ROBERT SHERMAN,

WILLIAM HEWITT .


W .F.O. COMMITTEE:

HUGH STOOPS,

THOS. H . HALL,

GEORGE WILSON,

THOMAS STANFIELD .



The E aster Vestry, although not largely at­tended, discharged its important duties in an

efficient manner. The meeting was opened with

Prayer by the Rector, after which a portion of

Scripture was read by the Rev. W. F . Hayes.

The Rector then, in a short speech, reviewed the

work of the Parish during the past year. The

minutes of the last meeting of the General Vestry

were read and signed. The Rector nominated as

his Churchwarden Mr. Herbert Murray Gibson,

of “ Rathlin ,” Edenderry. Mr Gibson is a son

of the late Ven. W. Gibson, Archdeacon of Ferns,

and has recently come to reside in Seagoe Parish.

His father occupied for many years a leading

position in the Church in Southern Ireland, and

we welcome Mr. Gibson to the Parish. Mr.

Gibson served throughout the Great War.

Mr. Thomas Martin, of Kilvergan, who has

been appointed People’s Churchwarden, has for

many years occupied positions of responsibility in

the Parish. He has on several occasions filled

the post of Churchwarden and has for many years

been a member of the Select Vestry.

The only new name on the Vestry is that of

Mr. William Hutchinson, who has helped in

Parish work in many ways during the past year.

We welcome him to the Vestry. Mr. Thomas

Stanfield, of Levaghery, who has given, excellent

help in connection with the Weekly Freewill

Offering Fund, has been elected a member of the

W .F.O . Committee. A statement of Finance

was made by the Hon. Treas., Mr. Hugh Stoops.


The Easter Services.

The Services during Holy Week and Easter

were very helpful and the quiet contemplation

of the great verities of the Faith within the walls

of the Parish Church on each evening of the week

enabled the worshippers to realise more fully the

meaning and significance of the Cross and Pas­sion.


On E aster Day there was a large number of

Communicants present at the Services. The

Church looked very bright with its decoration of

flowers and palms, and the musical portion of the

Service was very reverent and devotional. The

Anthem was Clare’s “ Hallelujah, for the Lord

God Omnipotent reigneth .” The solo was taken

by Miss Clara Kirby, who sang it with fine ex­pression.


Easter Service at Drumgor.

On the afternoon of Easter Day a Young

People’s service was held in Drumgor Church

Hall. There was a large attendance. The Rev.

F . McCullough, Curate of Shankill. gave an address. The children’s choir sang the special

Hymns and Miss Gracey kindly presided at the

harmonium . Mr. W H utchinson, Superintendent, had arranged the service, in which the

Rector and he took part. The collection was in

aid of the improvement and furnishing of the

Hall and amounted to £1 15s 2d. The Hall was

prettily decorated with flowers.


The Silver Jubilee.

We will all join in wishing our gracious King

and Queen hearty and respectful congratulations

on reaching the 25th anniversary of their Acces­sion. Special Services will be held in the Church

on Sunday, May 12th, at Morning and Evening

Prayer. The collection at Morning Prayer will

be on behalf of the Jubilee Trust Fund.


Our Summer Migrants.

The corncrake was first heard in the Parish at

Ballyhannon on Saturday, April 20th, and the

welcome note of the cuckoo broke silence at

Seagoe on Friday, April 26th. The swallow has

not yet been observed She seems to have delayed lier coming this year. The cold easterly

and northerly winds have no doubt held her back

in southern climes.


G.F.S. Egg Collection.

Mrs. Scott and the members of the G.F.S.

wish to thank all those who kindly gave them

contributions of eggs towards their Easter “ Good

Turn .” 900 eggs were collected, of which 732

were distributed among the sick and poor of the

Parish and 168 given to Lurgan Hospital.


Twenty-five Years Ago.

MAY, 1910.

In looking over the copy of the Magazine for

May, 1910, there is no intimation of the shadows

then overhanging the nation. King Edward is

not referred to. There is a reference to the Confirmation about to be held on June 26th. Two

Baptisms are recorded and four Burials. One of

the latter is that of Martha Allen, of Balteagh,

aged 79 years. The corncrake was heard on:

April 13th, the cuckoo 011 April 26th, and the

first swallow was seen on April 14th. It is noted

that the roads have been badly cut up with heavy

traction engine traffic. When we turn to the

Magazine for June, 1910, the local matter is

crossed with heavy black lines. King Edward is

dead and King George 5th has begun to reign

There is a note on “ The New King” as follows

— “ King George the Fifth has ascended the

Throne. We believe that in the providence of

God he will accomplish great things for the Empire and for the world. The thing that appeals

most to the nation is the purity and happiness of

his home life. King George and Queen Mary

shine in their domestic virtues and are happiest

when enjoying with their young family the delights of an English home. We feel sure that

all will join heartily in wishing King George the

Fifth and Queen Mary a long and happy reign

God Save the King .” On Friday, May 27th, the

day of King Edward’s funeral a Memorial Service was held in Seagoe Church at 3.30. The

Church was draped for the solemn occasion.

Parish Register for April.

Baptisms.

The following were Baptized in the Parish Church on 6th April, 1935: —

Morrison—Joseph Ronald, son of John and Mar­garet Hester Morrison, of Lisniskey. Sponsors—Elizabeth McMahon, Margaret Hester Morrison.

Best—Anne Adeline, daughter of Robert and Jane Best, of Edenderry. Sponsors— Gertrude Quin, Jane Best.

Private Baptism.

Whiteside—April 6th, 1935, Mary, daughter of Ferguson and Mary Whiteside, of Eden­derry.

Marriages-

Ruddell and Pentland—April 16th, Joseph Ruddell, of Kernan, to Sarah .Jane Pentland, of Portadown.

Gardiner and Ruddell—April 17th, Thomas Geo. Gardiner, of Dollingstown, Parish of Maralin, to Ivy Kathleen Ruddell, of Lisniskey.

Nesbitt and M‘Keown—April 20th, Thomas Nes­bitt, of Levaghery, to Susan M'Keown, of Killicomaine.

Walker and Giffln— April 23rd, Norman Walker of Kernan, to Rachel Giffin, of Eden­derry.

Matchett and Dickson—April 24th, Josepr Fras. Victor Matchett, of Ballyhannon, to Mabel Dickson, of Tamnifiglasson.


Burial.

Black—April 12th, Hannah Black, of Knock, aged 81 years.

Congratlations .

We offer our hearty congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Victor Matchett on the occasion of their

marriage. Both of them have a large circle of friends in the Parish and both have given much

help in Parish work. Mr. Matchett has been a member of the Select Vestry, and Mrs. Matchett

has been a Sunday School Teacher in Drumgor and Seagoe, and also a distributor of the Magazine.

Both of them have at all times been most ready in helping any Parochial effort. There was

a large gathering in the Church at the wedding.

The happy couple will be residing at their new house Ballyvernet House, Bangor, Co. Down.

We wish them much blessing and true happiness in their future life.

Another of our Church workers entered the state of Matrimony during the past month. Mr.

Norman Walker has been a valued helper in Seagoe Afternoon Sunday School as teacher of

the Senior Boys class, and he has shown much

interest in this important work. Mr. Walker

now occupies an important position in Messrs.

McGredy s Royal Nurseries in Portadown. We

wish him and Mrs. Walker every happiness and prosperity in their future life.

There have been no less than five marriages

in Seagoe this E aster. To one and all we wish a very happy and prosperous time.


The Alan Bell Fund

This Fund was distributed in the week before-

Easter. The amount available th is year owing to

the reduction in the rate of interest was only £17

10s instead of £25. There were 35 recipients.


Seagoe Mothers’ Union

The next meetng of the M.U. will be held

(D .V .) on Thursday, May 23rd. a t 7.30 p.m.

Mrs. Magill, the wife of the Rector of Milltown, will give an address.


The Excursion.

At a meeting of Superintendents and Teachers

of our Sunday Schools held on April 15th in

Seagoe School it was decided that the Excursion

this year should go to Bangor. The date fixed

was Thursday, June 27th. Mr. Scott was appointed Hon. Sec.,

and Mr. McClements and Mr W. Hutchinson, Hon. Treasurers. The

price of Tickets will be as follows :— Children

(on S. School Roll) 8 years old and under, 1/3

each , 8 years to 14 years, 2 - each ; 14 years and

over 2 /6 ; Teachers, Bible Class Members and

Band, 3 - each. The above Tickets include Railwav Fare and Two Refreshments.

Outsiders’ tickets, 2 /6 each, two Refreshments, 1 '- each

It was suggested that children should be advised

to pay m something each week in the Sunday

School to their Teacher towards the cost of the

Ticket, Bangor will be a specially attractive

resort this year, and it is expected that some of

the larger navy ships will be anchored there

about the time of the excursion.


Annual C.L.B. Inspection.

Sergeants Martin and Walker, of the R Ulster

Rides, conducted the Inspection of the Seagoe

C.L.B .in the Parochial Hall on Tuesday, April

30th. at 8 p.m . It was a most interesting occasion and the lads, both the Training Corps and

the Cadets, acquitted them selves with great

credit. The Training Corps squad under Corporal

Little, won first place, although Corporal Best’s

squad was only one mark behind. Simpson and

Beatson won the drill down after a most strenuous competition. Cadet W. Best won in the

senior competition. Mrs. Lynas, of Carne,

kindly distributed the prizes. Captain Mitchell

expressed the thanks of all present to the judges.

In the Cadets drill down George Lynas and Billy

Leake got 1st and 2nd prizes respectively. Sergeant Martin gave a very interestng and clever

exposition on the Bugle, sounding out the various military calls. He said of the C .L .B . Display,

“ I t was a real good out-and-out show. The turning movements were splendidly done."


Seagoe C.L.B . and the Jubilee.

Seagoe C .L.B. Cadets will give an exhibition

of gymnastics in Portadown on Jubilee Day at 3.30 p.m .


C-L.B. in Belfast ,

The Seagoe Company, in three buses, jour­neyed to Belfast on Thursday evening, May 2nd,

at 6, to attend the great C .L .B . Service in St.

Anne’s Cathedral. The Cathedral was crowded,

and the Lord Bishop preached. The presenta­tion of Banners and of a Commission of Membership to the Bishop was a very impressive part

of the Service. Seagoe Band, with the Cadets

and Training Corps, marched past the Bishop

outside the Cathedral after the Service. The

Rector, the Rev. W. F Hayes, Captain Mitchell,

and Lieuts. Currie and Hynes accompanied the

Brigade.


Old Seagoe Notes.

A Note on the Rev. T. A. Jones, Curate of

Seagoe, 1873—1875.—Many in the Parish still

remember the Rev. Thomas Absalom Jones, and

speak kindly of his work and character. He was

the last Curate who worked in the Parish while

Archdeacon Saurin resided at the Rectory. He

was ordained Deacon in 1870, and Priest by the

Bishop of Down in 1871. He was Curate of

Moira from 1870 to 1873, and Rector of Woods

Chapel from 1876 to 1882. In the latter year he

became Curate of Killyman., and in 1883 Rector

of that Parish until 1886, when he resigned.

The following are interesting advertisements

and notes of a past day: —


RE-OPENING OF

SEAGOE PARISH CHURCH

THE CONCLUDING SPECIAL

RE-OPENING SERVICES

Will be held (D .V .) in

SEAGOE CHURCH,

AT MORNING AND EVENING SERVICES,

On SUNDAY NEXT, AUGUST 10th Inst., 1891.

The Sermons will be Preached by

REV. R. R. KANE, LL.D .,

Rector of Christ Church, Belfast.

A COLLECTION will be made at each of these

Services on behalf of the CHURCH ENLARGEMENT FUND.

The Evening Service will commence at 6.30 p.m .Seagoe Church.—The concluding special re­opening services are to be held in Seagoe Church on Sunday next, 16th inst. The preacher at both

morning and evening services to be the Rev . R.

R , Kane, L L .D ., rector of Christ Church, Belfast.

Above £3,000 have been expended in the

reconstruction, enlargement, and ornamentation

of this church, besides many munificent gifts

which have been presented by the parishioners

and friends. The collections at the re-opening

services will be applied to the. reduction of the

balance due. The evening service on this occa­sion will commence at 6.30 o ’clock p.m.

SERMONS.

REOPENING OF SEAGOE PARISH CHURCH

THE SERVICE FOR THE REOPENIN G OF

SEAGOE CHURCH, and the CONSECRATION

of the CHANCEL and AISLE by the LORD

BISHOP OF DOWN AND CONNOR AND DROMORE will be held (D .V .) in SEAGOE

CHURCH, on FRIDAY , August 7th inst., at

Three o ’clock p.m.

Preacher:

The Very Rev. the DEAN OF CONNOR, LL.D.

A Collection will be made after the Sermon in

behalf of the Church Enlargement Fund.

The Train leaving Belfast at 1.30 p.m . is due

at Portadown in time for the Service. Conveyances will ge provided to bring Visitors from and

to Portadown Station. Seagoe Church.—The concluding services con­nected with the re-opening of Stagoe Church were

held on Sunday last, 16th August. Very crowded

congregations attended both morning and even­ing. The Rev. Dr. Kane, rector of Christ

Church, Belfast, preached on, both occasions and

gave earnest and able expositions of the texts.

That at morning service was taken from Psalms

xxvii., 4— “ One thing have I desired of the Lord,

that will I seek after ; that I may dwell in the

house of the Lord all the days of my life, to be­

hold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in

His temple ,” and at evening service from St

Luke xv., 6— “ And when he cometh home, he

calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them , Rejoice with me ; for I have found

my sheep which was lost.” The collectors at

both services were—Thos. D. Atkinson, Esq.

Thomas D. Gibson, E sq., R .M .; Dr. Dougan

Messrs. John Collen, J .P . ; W m. J . Locke, J.P-

J . Malcomson, Charles Montgomery, °

McGredy, W m. Paul, John Walker, jun. ; Hugh

Wallace and Henry J . Uprichard. They were

assisted by Messrs. Jas. Atkinson, Jas. Albin

George Calvert, Chas. J . Collins, Thomas Gilpin

Joseph Munroe, Capel W. Reid, and David

Walker. The total collections at the re-opening

services amounted to £103 3s 6d.

Seagoe P.E. School. .

Seagoe Public Elementary School will share

all the Jubilee festivities. Each pupil will

presented with a handsome Jubilee Medal, a

a cinema ticket for the King’s Jubilee Film exhibit,

and also a pretty booklet on the King's

Jubilee.


Download

Download and save the “May 1935” seagoe parish Magazine:

Download PDF

Rights

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Seagoe Archives

About

Seagoe Archives

In March 2019 this website was launched by Seagoe Parish. It contains digital access to the earliest editions of the parish magazines from 1905 until 1935. This project was supported by Heritage Lottery Fund. Magazines from 1936 are being uploaded.

Find out More

© 2020 Seagoe Parish Church, All rights reserved. Privacy Policy

Website by Reflex Studios